[Note: if you’re not from Kenya, and/or didn’t play rugby growing up there, you will likely find this post random and tedious. Please come back tomorrow and I’ll get back to the usual fair.]
Okay, my Schools Rugby in Kenya post from February is proving to have a life of it’s own. In fact, it gets 5-10 comments every month still – 105 as of today, amazing. Yani, we’re crazy and passionate about our ruge, eh?
A special shout out to Joe for almost single-handedly keeping this conversation rolling – he’s got my vote for biggest Patch fan on the web and is a bloody genius at getting people riled up. Also, here’s my favorite comment, by Meneja (obviously a Saints guy):
AMA SPEAK THE TRUTH
- BEST RUGBY SCHOOL – ST MARYâ€™S NAIROBI (thats why they are most hated)
- OTHERS WHO CAN CLAIM TITLE LENANA AND RVA FULLSTOP.
- ANYONE ELSE IS SECOND RATE STARTING WITH PATCHâ€¦(your track record in prescott speaks heapsâ€¦why? it was the hardest most challenging tournament. history says you were no where to be seen.)
- BEST FIELDS RVA AND SAINTS (any arguments???)
- MOST ENTERTAINING LENANA PATCH AND SAINTS (fantastic runners high scores and high intensity and never say die attitudes)
- BEST DEFENCE SAINTS (conceded less in 96,97 cumulatively then the second team conceded in 96 or 97)
- BEST BACKLINE LENANA SAINTS (powerfull runners well organised)
- BEST ORGANISED RVA (they knew there opponents inside out before every gameâ€¦sometimes it didnt make a difference though)
- BEST FORWARDS SAINTS (not the fastest pack but easily the most effective and efficient)
- BEST FANS LENANA AND PATCH (any arguments)
- BEST ANTHEM PATCH (the whole school sang loud and together with feeling)
- MOST COMPLETE AND BALANCED SAINTS
Kenyan Schools Rugby Archive
I feel we need to flesh this whole argument out a little bit more. Much like any good bar will have copy of the Guiness Book of World Records behind the counter to solve arguments, I think we need the same for ruge in Kenya.
I would like nothing better than to compile a report of all the schools rugby records since 1950. That should prove to go back far enough that everyone is happy, and it will give us a way to search and prove points that we so dearly wish we could remember.
Send your statistics to me and I will put it all up on the web. All pretty and packaged, sortable and user-friendly. I’m fairly sure I can come up with RVA’s records, but I’ll need help on the others. Give me a hand on this, put me in contact with the right people if you don’t have the stats yourselves. Go ahead and send me your pictures as well, I’ll throw those up in a gallery or something – do me a favor and state the team, year and contest if you can remember it.
Email me at Hash [at] thisdomain [dot] com.
As a bonus, here’s a picture of your “white African” passing the ball out of a maul at the “Kenya Combined Schools” game in 1993. I’m not sure if they still do this, but it was a lot of fun for us guys. We got to play on the same team as some of our favorite competitors. In this game it was primarily RVA and Lenana vs Nairobi School and Saints.