[Last week I had a security problem with WordPress, which is fixed now, my apologies for any inconvenience]
Bosun Tijani and the ccHub are part of what I think is a fantastic idea. Instead of building a “tech city”, they’re creating a “tech neighborhood” in Lagos, Nigeria with many partners.
The three types of tech incubators in Africa. I disagree a bit here, but will save that for another post.
A long essay, comparing Kenya and Rwanda’s efforts to become the tech hub of East Africa.
Surprising no one, Uganda’s mobile money service eclipses traditional banking with 8.9m users (compared to 3.6m for banks).
Good article by The Next Web on how winning in African tech is a patience game.
Not specifically about Africa, but here’s a great graphic that maps out the alternative financial ecosystem, of which mobile money plays a significant role.
I love this Africa-inspired Foosball table design, which would be made better without all the NGO crap on it.
Personal Link Updates:
- We ran a big Ushahidi deployment in Kenya, the community played a huge role.
- We have a new look, the iHub site was redesigned, 100% mobile friendly.
- Two big iHub partnerships have been announced with Intel and Microsoft.
- iHub robotics, a community driven initiative, continues to grow. Watch this space.
- iHub membership changes
- We’re launching a new Crowdmap. Signup here.