UPDATE: Here’s the report put together by the iHub Research team (3Mb PDF): Uchaguzi Kenya 2013
The elections in Kenya this year have had a lot of drama, nothing new there. As I wrote about last week, Ushahidi has been involved quite heavily on the crowdsourcing side via Uchaguzi, which meant that we had an exhausting week as the results kept getting extended each day.
Some basic statistics:
- 5,011 SMS messages sent in (that weren’t spam or junk, as those got deleted)
- 4,958 reports were created (from SMS messages, the web form, email and media monitoring teams)
- 4,000 reports were approved to go live on the map
- 2,693 reports were verified (67% of approved reports)
Notes and Links:
- Many reports, links an updates can be found on our virtual situation room
- The analysis team provided twice daily rundowns based on verified data at http://visuals.uchaguzi.co.ke/
- Rob created a map visual to show the reports coming into Uchaguzi over time.
- The IEBC tech system failed, I started a Tumblr trying to figure out how the system was built, which companies were involved and what they did, and what actually went wrong.
- Before the IEBC tech system was shut off, Mikel used their API to create maps (1, 2) and Jeff and Charles created a mobile-friendly results site as well.
- Heather wrote up a good post on our situation room blog about what we’ve learned along the way.