There’s a Ghana email list of tech guys that I’m on. Opening my email this morning, I was pleasantly surprised to see that a Ghanaian team was pitching last night at TechCrunch Disrupt.
Saya is an app for texting. That mixes SMS, Facebook chat and hyperlocal findability to get in conversations with those near you. They’re on Android, Blackberry and waiting for their iPhone app to be approved.
Robert’s pitch revolves around the 5.8 billion NON-smartphones in the world, and how that market has needs that need to be addressed by apps like their own. Ways to communicate via SMS in a much more elegant way.
Saya isn in a tough position, trying to get US and European-based investors to think that anything to do with old tech like SMS can be big is quite difficult. Their paradigm is set in the West’s way of thinking about being intoxicated the newest tech, not understanding how much of the world more fully uses each technology before discarding it.
Without knowing anything about how many users Saya has, I can say that it looks like an app that will really work in Africa and therefore many other parts of the world. Just looking at the app, it seems that they have a strong focus on product, and are paying attention to things like design details that really do matter.
Good job guys, and good luck!
Mutua Matheka and I met up today and hatched an idea to have a little picture fun over the next 12 months. We quickly roped in Eston Whitfield and are looking for a couple more to join up. We’re going to do a picture-a-day on Instagram, and see what happens. Likely others will join in as well, so here are the guidelines:
RULE #1: You can only tag one Instagram photo with #Kenya365 each day.
That is the one and only one rule.
It starts on Sept 1, 2012 (2 days from now) and ends on Aug 31, 2013. To make it more challenging and fun we’re going to ask ourselves to find “interesting” shots each day (however you decide to define that).
Feel free to invite another Instagramer to it, especially if you think they do great stuff, or join in yourself. Just pass on rule #1 to them.
A reminder that this is for fun, and we’ll see what happens. If it’s going well we can create a site to aggregate the images with this tag on it for people to find easily.
You can find us on Instagram with the following handles:
- Erik Hersman on Instagram: @White_African and on Twitter at @WhiteAfrican
- Mutua Matheka on Instagram: @Truthslinger and on Twitter at @Truthslinger
- Eston Whitfield on Instgram: @Eston and on Twitter at @Estoni
- Jepchumba on Instagram: @Jepchumba and on Twitter at @DigitalAfrican
- Wamathai on Instagram: @Wamathai and on Twitter at @Wamathai
- Joseph Were on Instgram: @jaydabliu and on Twitter @jaydabliu
- Taylor Martyn on Instagram: @Zulusafari and on Twitter at @zulusafari
- Elvis Mutai on Instagram: @mutaielvis
- Eve on Instagram: @eveheartsphotog and Twitter at @eveheartsphotog
- Wachera on Instagram: @Wacherah and on Twitter at @Wacherah
- Musa on Instagram: @moahandpainted and on Twitter at @mole_a
- Maggianna Wanjohi on Instagram: @Maggianna and on Twitter at @Maggianna
- Steve Kitots on Instagram: @SteveKitots and on Twitter at @SteveKitots
- Lema on Instagram: @lemajisa and on Twitter at @jisaslema
- William on Instagram: @nguru and on twitter @lilwaim
- Wairimu Mwaura on Instagram: @missmwaura and on Twitter at @missmwaura
- Ratia on instagram: @ratia_tee and on Twitter at @ratia_tee
- Aika on Instagram: @aikawangwe and on on Twitter at @aikawangwe
- Pendo la Mama on Instagram: @pendolamama and on Twitter at @pendolamama
- Njeri Thande on Instagram: @njerithande and on Twitter @njerithande
- Wambui on Instagram: @wambeauty
- Shitawa Bah on Instagram: @eatoutkenya and on Twitter @eatoutkenya
- Wiselar on Instagram: @wiselar and on Twitter at @wiselar
- The Afrohemien Nomad on Instgram: @LAfrohemien and on Twitter at @LAfrohemien
- Angela Oduor on Instagram: @angelaoduor and on Twitter @AngieNicoleOD
- Leo Patra on Instgram: @c_Leo_patra and on Twitter at @c_Leo_patra
- Angela Crandall on Instagram: @honoluluskye and on Twitter at @honoluluskye
- Flora Okuku on Instgram: @maflosah and on Twitter at @maflosah
- Mark Mwangi on Instagram: @Mwangyzzle and on Twitter @mwangy
- eGichomo on Instagram: @eGichomo and on Twitter at @eGichomo
- Riyaz Osman on Instagram: @ri_yaz and on Twitter at @ri_yaz
If you’re going to take part, leave a comment below with a link to your Twitter handle and your Instagram account and I’ll add you into the list.